Flower Cakes in a Pot
These small flower cakes make great wedding shower favors! You can go the easy route, and use an artificial flower, or go all out and bake your own. Either way, they'll be adorable!
You can also use these little cakes as place settings. Paint the guest's name on the pot, or put a small sign in the "soil" with their name on it
How to Make Cakes (Simple version: use artificial flowers):
Items You'll Need:
To Make Cakes:
1. Before using the terracotta pots, you should first sterilize them. You can sterilize them by putting them in a 350 degree oven for 2 hours.
2. Brush the inside of each pot with vegetable oil, and line with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Brush the inside of lining with oil and dust lightly with cocoa.
3. Prepare chocolate cake mix according to package directions (or prepare it from scratch if you'd like.)
4. Fill each of the prepared pots 2/3 full. Transfer the pots to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake, rotating the cookie sheet half way through baking. Let cakes cool completely on sheet on a wire rack.
5. While the cakes cool, put Oreo cookies into a double-lined zip-lock bag (I use freezer bags because they're thicker). Use a mallet (or your hand) to crush the Oreos into "dirt." You can use a food processor if you'd rather do it that way.
6. After the cakes have cooled completely, frost the top of each of them with a thin layer of chocolate frosting.
7. Sprinkle crushed Oreo "dirt" on the top of each one, and add a gummy worm if desired. Insert an artificial flower into the center.
How to Make Flower Cakes (Complete version: bake your own flower):
To make this version, follow steps 1-7 above to prepare the cake. To make the edible cookie flowers, click here and follow the directions for creating sugar cookie flowers.