Graduation Party Favors:
I made these graduation party favors for a friend's graduation party, and everyone loved them! They are really simple and inexpensive to make, and turn out to be the cutest chocolate graduation favors that you've ever seen!
I've seen this idea done in many ways, and have tried different variations to see what works best. This is my favorite way to make these favors, but you can substitute some ingredients if you prefer (see ideas in "directions" area below).
- Small Reeses Peanut Butter Cups
- Small "Snack Size" Hershey chocolate bars
- Yellow Necco paper candy
- Yellow Laffy Taffy
ITEMS YOU'LL NEED:
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Knife or pizza cutter
- Lollipop sticks
- Rolling pin
DIRECTIONS TO MAKE GRADUATION PARTY FAVORS:
1. Unwrap Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, and place them in the freezer for a few minutes. This will make them much easier to handle later, since they won't melt the minute that you touch them :) Don't like peanut butter, or are afraid that people may have peanut allergies? Use Rolos chocolate candy instead!
2. Unwrap small chocolate "snack size" Hershey chocolate candy bars, and cut them in half (each bar makes two caps). Make sure they have straight edges...if they don't, use a knife to shape them.
3. Unwrap the banana flavored Laffy Taffy, and place it in the microwave for NO MORE than 5 second to soften it (leave it too long, and it burns and bubbles--I speak from experience!). Place the softened piece of candy on a hard surface and roll it flat using a rolling pin. Cut thin "tassels" using a knife or pizza cutter. Set aside.
(Don't want to use Laffy Taffy? You can substitute it with yellow licorice or yellow frosty squeezed on with a decorators tip).
4. Melt one or two of the Hershey chocolate bars in a microwave safe bowl (depending on how many caps that you're making). Be sure to melt these in the microwave ten seconds at a time at 50% power, stirring in between. Chocolate will burn easily (again, I speak from lots of experience!).
Now you are done with the preparation, and ready for the assembly...
5. Remove the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups from the freezer, and place them wider side down on a plate.
6. Spoon a drop of melted chocolate on the top of each peanut butter cup, and place one of your Hershey bar squares face down on the melted chocolate (the words should be facing down, and the top should be smooth).
7. Spoon a small drop of melted chocolate onto the top of each cap, and place a yellow Taffy piece and yellow Necco candy to create the tassel. Place in the refrigerator to set for 5-10 minutes.
8. When set, stick a lollipop stick in the bottom of each peanut butter cup to complete the project. You could also leave them stick-free, and serve them as-is if you want. Place them in individual treat bags, or find a unique way to display them for your party (I used a piece of styrofoam wrapped in gold wrapping paper to stick them into.)
Return from Graduation Party Favors to Graduation Favors Page
Return from Graduation Party Favors to HOME PAGE