Pumpkin Krispies Treat
These pumpkin krispies are just like the rice krispies treats that we all know and love...only more festive! Perfect individual sized delicacies that both young and old alike will love.
Rice Krispie Treat Recipe
While there are many rice crispy treat recipes out there, they are all basically the same. This rice krispies treat recipe is SO simple because it is made in the microwave! If you don't have a microwave, these rice krispy treats can also be made using a saucepan.
Items You'll Need for Rice Crispy Treats:
Rice Krispie Treats Recipe Yields: 15-20 Pumpkin Krispies
To Assemble the Pumpkin Krispies Rice Krispies Treats:
1. Combine the 2 10-ounce packages of marshmallows into your large microwave-safe bowl and add the butter. Microwave on high for 2 minutes or until smooth and well blended. Stir and repeat in 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until smooth. The marshmallows will be huge when you take them out of the microwave, but will smooth right out upon stirring.
2. Place 1-2 cups of the smoothed marshmallow and butter mixture into the small bowl. Keep the remainder in the large bowl. Use the red and yellow food coloring to tint the large bowl orange, and the green to tint the small bowl of marshmallows. Add coloring drop-by-drop until desired colors are reached.
3. Add 8 cups of crisp rice cereal to the large bowl, and 2 cups to the small bowl.
Stir the mixture until the cereal is completely coated. If this is difficult, you can place it in the microwave for 30 seconds to soften the marshmallow mixture if needed.
4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop orange mixture in balls onto the parchment paper. It will still be sticky, so the easiest way to do this is by using two spoons that have been sprayed with cooking spray.
5. Smooth them into circles using the spoons. Don't worry about making them perfect! Once they cool down in a few minutes, you'll be able to shape them more.
6. Scoop a small amount of green mixture onto one side of each pumpkin to create a stem. The pumpkins should be cool enough to shape with your hands now. If not, wait a few more minutes.
They should look like pumpkins when you are done shaping them...
7. Place them in the refrigerator to set for about 10 minutes. Once they are set, draw a face on each pumpkin using a tube of black or brown decorator icing. You can also melt chocolate chips (according to package directions) to use with a decorating bag and tip.
Be creative with your pumpkin faces. Here are the faces that I made:
8. You can further decorate your pumpkin krispies with green "leaves" and "vines." I used Laffy Taffy, but you can use an flat green candy (Fruit Roll-Up, green Starburst rolled flat, etc.) If the taffy is too hard, you can place it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften.
And here is the finished product:
To gift these, place them on a plate or in a small treat box. They get too sticky in treat bags!