White decorator icing
Gingerbread Men Recipe Yields: 2 Dozen Cookies
How to Make Gingerbread Cookies
1. Heat molasses, margarine and brown sugar in saucepan over medium heat to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; cool.
2. Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg in large bowl. Blend egg substitute into molasses mixture. Stir molasses mixture into flour mixture until smooth.
Wrap dough (I used Saran Wrap); refrigerate about 1 hour.
3. Divide dough in half. Roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness on floured surface.
Cut with floured 5 X 3-inch gingerbread man cutter. Place onto lightly greased baking sheets.
4. Bake in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from sheets; cool on wire racks.
5. After the cookies have completely cooled, draw "skeleton" cookie designs on your gingerbread men as I've done in the photo below. I found that the easiest way to do this is by using the decorator icing that comes in a tube that you just snip off and use (in the baking aisle at grocery stores).
If you have a little black decorator icing, you can create eyes (but they look just as cute without them).
Another version I created is the gingerbread "ghost." Use either white chocolate melts (sold in the baking section at craft stores), or white chocolate chips. Melt according to package directions.
Spread the melted chocolate on the gingerbread man cookies, and place in the refrigerator to harden. Add small black eyes using black decorator icing.
6. To gift, simply place the cookies in individual clear treat bags, and top with a festive Halloween/Fall ribbon or raffia.
Return from Skeleton Cookies to HALLOWEEN PAGE
Return from Skeleton Cookies to HOME PAGE