Unique Wedding Shower Favors: Chocolate Bowls with Candy
These candy bowls add a little something to the traditional wedding shower favors with wrapped almonds . You don't have to just use them for Jordan Almonds, though. You can fill them with nuts to place on the table, or even serve ice cream for dessert in them!
Items You'll Need:
1. Blow up balloons and set them aside. It's best to use water balloons because they are usually more color-safe than regular balloons. I used these darker balloons for this example (so that they could be seen in the photos more easily), and they left a little color on my white chocolate. :( Doesn't look very good, and I'm sure it's not healthy for you!
2. Melt chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl according to the package directions. The amount of chocolate you use will depend on how big you want the bowls, how many bowls you're going to make, etc. Just for reference, the bag of chocolate pictured above made six medium-sized bowls.
3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and make sure you have plenty of room in your refrigerator. Dip the bottom portion of your balloon into the melted chocolate, remove, and set on the parchment paper.
And if you want the edges of your bowl to look like a tulip flower, dip your balloon side-to-side to create a scalloped edge like this:
4. Place cookie sheet with balloons in the refrigerator. Wait about ten minutes (or until the chocolate is hardened) and remove it from the refrigerator.
If you look at the bottom of your bowls, you may still be able to see your balloon through the chocolate. If that happens, you should follow steps 3 and 4 again to add another layer to the bowl. This will make the chocolate thicker and add stability to your bowl (and keep it from leaking if you're putting ice cream in it!).
5. When you're satisfied with the thickness of your bowls, remove the balloon in the center of each bowl be cutting a small hole in the top of the balloon. Slowly cut a small snip...you don't want the balloon to pop and shatter your bowl!
6. Gently pull the balloon out of the center of each bowl.
7. Fill your completed bowls with candy, ice cream, or any other treats you desire! I chose to use Jordan Almonds because of their significance at weddings.
You can wrap them in tulle and add a decorative tag for a different look to your wedding shower favors...
The Meaning of Jordan Almonds at Weddings
According to the wedding website, The Knot, "these fancy, sugarcoated candies are rich in flavor and in cultural meaning, particularly in Italian and Greek weddings. Fresh almonds have a bittersweet taste, which represents life; the sugarcoating is added with the hope the newlyweds' life will be more sweet than bitter."
In many parts of the world, it's customary to give guests 3 to 5 Jordan Almonds. The number of almonds is considered important to not bring bad luck to the bride and groom. In the middle east, five almonds represent wealth, health, fertility, happiness, and longevity. However many almonds you decide to use, you should make it an odd number. Odd numbers are indivisible, just as a marriage should be.
Jordan Almonds of any color can be used for your wedding shower favors. Many brides choose colors to match their wedding, as these sweet treats come in an assortment of colors.